Today, word processing has become one of the essential skills and has significantly evolved. Besides the docx file, pdf is a reasonably standard file format. PDF (Portable Document File) is the same file type as docx, but it is almost impossible to edit it when using regular text editors. That is to say, PDF is the result of drafting, only for viewing, printing, and publishing. Therefore, when publishing pdf files, it will protect the content and format of the text.
However, the need for editing PDF appears when people want to insert their notes into the file or fix some errors. Therefore, there are several applications below that can assist you in the process of editing PDFs. In working with PDF, we often need to make some changes like: merging and splitting files, adding notes and comments, converting files into another format, or even more. Luckily, the following softwares are the best free PDF editor that can help you with the tasks.
In my opinion as an user experience, I think this is the best software for you. This software looks quite professional like Microsoft Word with such stunning tools. Lots of officers who have been using this editor feel quite satisfied as their experience in creating files, converting files, combining files and more.
- Optimal in applying fonts, colors, text sizes, add different images to the document, etc.
- An impressive feature of this software is that it has an OCR tool. It can scan many documents from images that can be edited into text that can be edited and restored as usual.
- Of course, it also has standard features such as merging PDF, encrypting documents, digital signatures, online document storing, etc.
- Currently, OCR technology is only available for some languages, such as English, German, Spanish, and similar languages.
Sejda PDF Editor
This software is also one of my favorite products to use. If you need convenience and quick editing, this app is an ideal choice. Sejda PDF Editor has a fashionable design and a range of tools for such demands on editing PDF files. Especially, you can use Sejda not only on your PC but also on internet when you need a quick editing.
- You can use the application right on the website instead of having to download it to your computer.
- A feature that the application is quite favorable for users is not to insert watermark on the file.
- Can insert blank pages or remove pages from PDF.
- You can only use the free app for up to 3 files per hour
- You cannot edit files with more than 50MB or more significant than 200 pages.
With ApowerPDF, you can easily access the tools you need to modify your PDF files. What’s more, doing so is a seamless experience because of the intuitive editing features. This software will genuinely become an optimal PDF editing solution.
- Outside of normally formatted text, ApowerPDF allows you to make and edit fillable forms.
- To help you protect your PDF files, it has a password protection function.
- It gives you the capability to affix electronic signatures to PDFs or to support their addition.
- It just helps with essential appliances.
For more functions, you should consider using PDF-Xchange Editor. This software looks not so modern but is powerful in use of editing your PDFs. The interface of the app is not so subtle but clear enough for users to understand the function of the command.
- OCR to identify the text in the PDF
- Can import a variety of shapes and images
- One nice feature is the ability to highlight all the form fields so that you can easily spot where you need to fill in. This function is beneficial if you’re editing a PDF with lots of forms, such as an application.
- Many features require a license
- Works with Windows only
If you are looking for a PDF editor that can meet your basic requirements but is also easy to use, PDFescape is a good idea for you. PDFescape is available on website platform and desktop as well. This software has the advantage of its visual design, which helps users easily use the commands in the app.
- The app can be used online or offline, with all operating systems.
- You can delete individual pages from the PDF, rotate the pages, reorganize the order of pages and more.
- The number of pages permitted in the free version is within 100 pages or 10 MB.
- The Desktop version is not free and only runs on Windows 7 or newest versions of Windows.
Foxit Reader is the most popular software for all users around the world. This software supports viewing, reading PDF files on computers with fast processing speed and many other functions. Its interface is also trendy with clear icons for users to recognize the functions of them.
- Appear in many different platforms on PC and other devices.
- Optimal in viewing PDF, especially for printing.
- Can show a lot of PDF files at the same time on separate Tab windows.
- Easily to take notes on the documents.
- No allow converting files into another file format.
Phantom PDF is another product from the same publisher as Foxit Reader. They say that the software has more features for editing PDFs than Foxit Reader. However, you will see there is no difference between the two apps at the first look. Actually, you can access more functions in editing PDF that Foxit Reader can not offer you.
- Includes a lot of handy tools
- Install the virtual PDF printer
- Light on resources
- Nicely designed interface
- Good security options
- Create PDFs from scratch or Office documents
- Not different from Foxit Reader.
AbiWord is a free tool in editing documents, is the same program as Microsoft. AbiWord is fast becoming a powerful word processor and editor with lots of useful features to serve your daily editing tools as well as your personal needs. I place it on the list because it can perform formate conversations directly.
- Support multi-platform like Windows, Linux, QNX, FreeBSD, or Solaris.
- Very easy to use and light on resources to run on the computer.
- Support your mail merge.
- There are not many advanced features for editing.
- Badly-designed interface.
Inkscape is an extremely popular free image viewer and editor. However, it also includes PDF editing functions that most dedicated PDF editors support only in their paid editions.
Inkscape is a competent image editing program. If you’re not already familiar with programs like GIMP, Adobe Photoshop, and other image editors, however, it’s probably a bit advanced for you.
- Besides images, the software can help with PDF editing tools.
- It supports manipulating graphics and includes lots of tools in editing images.
- Easy to use in basic operations of editing images.
- The number of tools in editing graphics can be overwhelming.
- There are not many functions in editing PDF in the free version.
One of the most beautifully designed editor software is Nitro PRO, besides Foxit Reader and Phantom. I use this editor because it has a friendly interface rather than for its functions. At the first look, you would see that the app looks like the Foxit Reader but in another color. Let’s give it a try to see how they are different.
- Easily take notes, create watermarked stamps, make comments, and use drawing tools.
- Can create and convert PDF files from over 200 different file types.
- Edit Cut and copy text, tables, and graphics from and to your PDF file easily not only that you can edit text online.
- You can also easily merge PDF files into one. Merge any number of individual data from different applications into one file.
- Not too different from Foxit Reader.
- It runs not so smoothly when you use it for a long time.
FormSwift is a free and easy-to-use tool on the website that you must try one time. You do not need to download any software to your computer because the app is based on the website platform. FormSwift may be the optimal app in quick editing PDF online, especially for teamwork but it has a limited range of options.
- Easy to use with simple tools.
- Optimal in using online and sharing with your friends or partner.
- Modern design interface.
- Just offers a few functions.
The pdf editor softwares that we listed above are the most useful and versatile ones which are free to use. With all these tools, you can edit your PDFs well and modify them to the version you want. I hope that you can easily handle the tools and experience your best PDFs.